Home

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Look for the silver lining

As I meander away the waning minutes, hours and days of what constitutes my Christmas break, I received an e-mail from Writer's Digest Magazine.

The bad news was that I wasn't selected as a finalist for their annual Self-Publish e-Book Awards. As writers meet with rejection more often than success, this I can take in stride.

The good news, I guess, was the feedback of the judge who read 'The Barricade Diary' (minus the spoilers):

"Brent Cameron has written a fascinating novel that takes a little perseverance for it to get a hold on you... But if the reader perseveres they will be rewarded with a complex and interesting story... There are twists and turns that will keep the reader involved and wanting to turn the page. The writing, the voice, is very much of the time and feels authentic.  It flows nicely and moves the story along at a good pace. The characters are compelling and  the reader will be swept up into their lives."

There were 4 criteria being judged, and my aggregate score on them, on a scale of 5, was 4.2.

No - I'm not going to win, and that's fine.

My 'silver lining' is that my writing may have a place. These kind (and encouraging) words, combined with the equally kind and encouraging words in those Amazon reviews, make me believe that for those willing to give it a chance, there are people who enjoyed the journey.

A very happy and prosperous New Year to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment